Monday, August 22, 2016

WEN and Hair loss: How to protect yourself from harmful ingredients


Many of you have approached me with concerns about Wen products in the news lately, supposedly causing balding and hair loss. Having used Wen myself along with other cleansing conditioners like DevaCurl (with no adverse reactions, I might add), I wanted to find out why. Nothing that I have seen in the news has offered any concrete scientific explanation as to what ingredient/ingredients in particular are causing these reported cases of hair loss. While it is alarming to see these reports and the pictures of hair loss, the lack of answers left me skeptical. I dug a little deeper and found this article by my favorite nerdy beauty industry friends, The Beauty Brains. (scroll down past the podcast to find the WEN article)

http://thebeautybrains.com/2016/01/does-wen-conditioner-make-your-hair-fall-out-episode-115/

Beauty Brains' conclusion?
"Anyway, while this lawsuit has gotten Wen some bad publicity I doubt they will be paying out unless they want to quickly settle it. The ingredients in their formula would not be reasonably expected to cause significant hair loss."

So, there you have it... sounds like a lot of hype to me. Hell, there are some hairsprays on the market that have more known irritants in it than this stuff. With that being said, any time you want to try a new haircare product or cosmetic, you owe it to yourself to check the ingredients list for anything you may be sensitive to. Running that list by your physician or dermatologist is a good idea as well. You can also request a free MSDS sheet from your stylist or product manufacturer to be absolutely sure if there are irritants present. After that, you can do a patch test first to see if you have any allergies or adverse reactions.

I hope this puts some of your concerns to rest! I has for mine.
-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment